AMEE joins the high quality shortlist for the iawards, recognising some of the most innovative British businesses.
The iawards in association with QinetiQ were launched by Lord Drayson and James Caan in July. They aim to celebrate the best of British science, technology and innovation. As such, all entrants had to specify the British involvement in their innovation – demonstrating that innovative thinking and development came from a British organisation or team.
The Energy and Environment category focuses on innovation in any area of energy and environment which supports society in terms of the challenge of providing/conserving energy and our responsibilities ensuing from climate change. As with all categories, each entry had to illustrate how its innovative qualities relate to at least one of the following challenges:
- Addressing the healthcare needs of an ageing society;
- Increasing international security from tackling global poverty to minimising the threat of terrorism;
- Preserving finite natural resources in the face of population growth and climate change; and
- Delivering public services which make best use of new technologies.
All of the winners will be announced at the iawards gala dinner on November 16 at the Science Museum.
For more information please visit www.iawards.org.uk.
Notes to Editors
The iaward for energy and environment
- AlertMe; AlertMe
- AMEE UK; AMEE
- Siemens Mobility, Traffic Solutions; Environmentally Friendly ELV Traffic Systems
The iaward for places to live and work
- E-Stack Ltd; E-Stack Atrium Ventilation System
- Quiet Revolution Ltd; qr5 Wind Turbine
- Crest Nicholson; Sustainable Communities
The iaward for digital communications
- Mippin; Mippin Buzz Widgets
- BigHand; BigHand for BlackBerry smartphones
- Powertraveller Ltd; solargorilla
The iaward for entertainment and media
- Publishing Research Laboratories Ltd; Intelligent Flatplan
- Cortexica Limited; Cortexica
- The Foundry; Ocula
The iaward for a consumer product
- Unilever R&D; Pureit – home water purification device
- MAS Design Products Ltd; One Touch™ Automatic Jar Opener
- trueCall Ltd; trueCall
The iaward for cross-application of technology
- Legal Advice Direct-Vieo Conferencing Services Limited Information; Advice Support Service
- Metrasens Ltd; Ferroguard
- National Physcial Laboratory; Automated Vegetable Harvesting Vehicle
The iaward for best collaboration
- Opal Contracts; Infection Minimising Curtain Hook
- Nottingham Scientific Ltd; Next Generation Satellite Navigation Receiver
- Thales Research & Technology (UK) Limited; nuVa
The iaward for British inside
- Ubisense; Ubisense Real Time Location System
- DigePrint Ltd; LumeJet
- Alumet Systems (UK) Ltd; ABLE Facade System
The iaward for best technology start-up
- Horizon Discovery Ltd; Introducing the X-MAN: A Model Cancer Patient
- i2O Water Ltd; Intelligent Water Control – Advanced Pressure Management
- Novacem Limited; Novacem
The iaward for the next big thing
- Diverse-Energy Ltd.; PowerCube
- Baxi Group; Baxi Ecogen micro-CHP
- Argento Diagnostics Ltd; Argento Diagnostics
Winners of the awards will be helped by UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) to meet potential business partners at key industry events such as the giant Medica trade fair in Germany and TechnologyWorld in Coventry this autumn. They will also receive public relations support from the iawards team. All shortlisted entries and the winners will also have exclusive access to the iawards logo.
Science and technology has been a driving force behind Britain’s export success. Exports for life sciences, for example, rose 19% in 2008. Innovation is also important in keeping the UK as the number one destination for inward investment in Europe. UKTI statistics show that the number of investment projects in creative industries increased by 65% in 2008/9 and in software and computer services by 36%.
About the Department for Business, Innovation & Skills.
The Department for Business Innovation and Skills will promote open and competitive markets, proportionate regulation, an enterprise and innovation culture, skilled people, thriving universities, life-long learning and world-class science, technology and research.
About UK Trade & Investment (UKTI):
UK Trade & Investment is the UK Government’s international business development organisation, supporting businesses seeking to establish in the UK and helping UK companies grow internationally. The services offered by UK Trade & Investment bring together a network of business sector specialists and support teams across England and in British diplomatic posts in some 100 markets all around the world. UK Trade & Investment works with a wide range of partner organisations in the UK, including other Government departments, RDAs and the Devolved Administrations, Business Links, Chambers of Commerce and trade associations. For more information, visit the web site at www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk Visit the online newsroom at http://www.newsroom.uktradeinvest.gov.uk